When Life Gives You Chickpeas…25 Jan 2018
When life gives you chickpeas, don't waste the water! Make hummus and cake!! This double whammy recipe makes the most of everything. Veganuary had me inspired ... and chocolate cravings were an added motivation. So save that aquafaba (chickpea water) because it is an excellent egg substitute for making rich fluffy chocolately moist vegan muffins.
As for hummus, it is literally one of the easiest things to make. Get yourself and blender and go wild. My housemate has a recipe for courgette hummus - sounds quirky I know! But it looks delicious. Let's see if I can coax the recipe out of him. But for now, the classic hummus. It's great with everything!
Hang onto the lemon zest for another baking afternoon. Nothing wasted!
PREP/ COOK TIME - 20 MINS | DIFFICULTY RATING - EASY | SERVES 3-4
250 g chickpeas / 1 x tin (don't throw out the chickpea water - we need it for cake!!)
1 garlic glove, roughly chopped (or crushed)
2 tbsp almond butter (tahini is also great, but if you don't have it any nut butter does the trick)
2 tbsp rapeseed oil
2 tbsp water/ chickpea water
1/2 tsp cumin powder
Pinch of salt
- Peel and roughly chop the garlic.
- Put the garlic in the blender along with the lemon juice, a pinch of salt, cumin, nut butter (tahini, peanut, almond... your choice!) and oil. Blend until the garlic is small and has blended into the liquid.
- Add chickpeas to the mix and blend. Stop and add a little water every now and then to loosen up the mix.
- Taste! Adjust the flavour to your preference. A little more lemon for zing! Cumin or tahini for flavour.
Vegan Chocolate Muffins
PREP/ COOK TIME - 40 MINS | DIFFICULTY RATING - MEDIUM | MAKES 6-8
350F | 180C | Gasmark 4
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarb soda
3 tbsp cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup aquafaba (chickpea liquid saved from hummus-making)
1/4 coconut oil, liquid but not hot
1/4 cup oat milk (or other non-dairy milk)
2 tbsp vinegar (apple cider or red wine are a good choice)
1/4 mashed banana
1/2 cup soft brown sugar
2/3 of a block of dark chocolate, chopped - 70% cocoa ideally!
- Preheat oven to 350F/ 180C/ Gasmark 4. Oil muffin tray with coconut oil.
- Combine all the liquid ingredients together and the sugar; aquafaba, coconut oil, oat milk, vinger, banana, and sugar. Stir until the sugar dissolves.
- In a separate bowl, sift and combine the dry ingredients, ensuring no lumps of cocoa powder in the mix.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry. Swiftly and gently combine them together. Be careful not to over mix. If the mix seems a bit stiff or dry you can add a little more oat milk.
- Spoon the mix into the muffin tray. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool. If you like, cut in half and fill with jam to serve. I filled my first batch with homemade raspberry rose jam - delish! For a little indulgence, try the coconut icing from Minimalist Baker with a tbsp of cocoa powder. Enjoy!
Original recipe for Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate Lavendar Aquafaba Cake from Pure Ella
Coconut Whipped Cream recipe can be found on Minimalist Baker
Dayna Ortner - UK Director
Loves to travel, forage for food and create ethical meals with what ever is available. A keen eye for detail and can spot a spelling mistake a mile away.
All other images original content by D. Ortner
22 Top Tips for this Plastic Free July06 Jul 2017 | Read More >
We're already a few days in to Plastic Free July. You still don’t know where to start? Okay, so some things are going to be easier than others when you first start walking this walk. It’s all doable though, and in the coming weeks we will take a deeper look at things to help. Why are we...
Dianna Cohen - Moving Toward a Plastic-Free World - Pt 106 Jan 2017 | Read More >
On a recent trip to North America, I decided to drop an email to one of my favourite organisations, The Plastic Pollution Coalition (PPC). To my delight there was a quick response . Within days their CEO and inspiring co-founder, Dianna Cohen graciously set up a meeting with me . We met a few...
A Chat with Costa Part I - The Aperture of Life02 Jun 2016 | Read More >
He is arguably the most popular and enthusiastic of all hosts of ABC's Gardening Australia program. You will see him around in a number of aliases, having a good time. Regardless, the one thing that always comes with a Costa Georgiadis appearance is a contagious positivity and your sudden...
3 Easy Ways to Reduce Waste When Eating Out.13 Sep 2016 | Read More >
Fair Food Forager is built on the idea that millions of daily micro decisions can have a massive effect at a macro level. In Australia alone, the take away coffee cup market is a $30 million dollar a year industry Read more. About 1.1 million coffee cups are thrown out in Australia everyday. A...
Owed to Moose28 Jul 2016 | Read More >
This one is for me, its for my best mate Moose and I! I haven’t seen him yet, I’m in the air, somewhere over NSW, but I know he isn’t there anymore. The big black, laid back, super calm shadow of me, for twelve years is no longer there. For twelve years he has followed me absolutely everywhere. If...