Enviro Blues - How to care without losing your mind.22 Jun 2017
It can be easy to feel down sometimes if you are passionate about the environment. Especially when taking notice of some people's actions. We can find ourselves constantly questioning how there are so many cigarette butts on the beach? litter in the streets? Or why people seem to care more about their replaceable cars than the irreplaceable environment?
I've felt like this myself. And as we all know, this kind of thinking can lead to crash and burn. Unless you have ways to cope.
Here are the things I can do -:
- Realistically, I cannot control what others do, say or think. So there is no real benefit in letting it stress me out. I remind myself that I can however, control my words, actions, ideas, effort and behaviour.
- I can focus on being the change I want to see in the world and set an example for others.
- I can make the best choices available to me each and every day; waste less, support ethical businesses, be selective about my electricity supplier, be mindful of what I eat, what I use and reuse, and what I do with my spare time. In this way, I'm making every decision a vote for the kind of world I want to live in.
- Pick it up. Sure, picking up someone else’s rubbish can be frustrating. But I feel great because if I pick it up, it's not going to harm marine life. It's also good exercise for me, and I use it to practice mindfulness out in nature, which is where I love to be.
- I choose to pay attention to the great things that are taking place around me. By focusing on the actions of like-minded people, I remember that I am not alone, and together we can make a change.
Elle getting some zen time.
Yes, there is lots to do in helping the environment. However there are many good changes that people ARE making and I feel the tide is turning.
In my most recent travels I discovered places doing just that. So, if you need an excuse for a road trip in Eastern Australia, I'm offering you the following:
Balinese Spice Magic - Wollongong (They even do vegan cooking classes!! OMG)
Elixiba - Byron Bay, Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast (Proving anything done vegan can be better than the original)
Soul Burger - Sydney (Burgers with soul)
Bonta Vera - Newcastle (Another good burger place, and other stuff too)
Secret Creek Café and Sanctuary - Lithgow (Benefits include watching the sanctuary animals while you eat the nourishing food.)
And of course there are many many more on the Fair Food Forager App!
Search here to find more, or add your favourites.
Elle Oshan - The Travelling Vegan Forager
Dianna Cohen - Moving Toward a Plastic-Free World - Pt 106 Jan 2017 | Read More >
On a recent trip to North America, I decided to drop an email to one of my favourite organisations, The Plastic Pollution Coalition (PPC). To my delight there was a quick response and within days their CEO and inspiring co-founder, Dianna Cohen graciously set up a meeting with me on my last day in...
A Chat with Costa Part I - The Aperture of Life02 Jun 2016 | Read More >
He is arguably the most popular and enthusiastic of all hosts of ABC's Gardening Australia program. You will see him around in a number of aliases, having a good time. Regardless, the one thing that always comes with a Costa Georgiadis appearance is a contagious positivity and your sudden...
3 Easy Ways to Reduce Waste When Eating Out.13 Sep 2016 | Read More >
Fair Food Forager is built on the idea that millions of daily micro decisions can have a massive effect at a macro level. In Australia alone, the take away coffee cup market is a $30 million dollar a year industry Read more. About 1.1 million coffee cups are thrown out in Australia everyday. A...
A Life Without Plastic - Interview with Erin Rhoads18 Nov 2015 | Read More >
There is lots going on out there, with many inspired people making changes and helping others learn how to live more in tune with nature, creating less waste, improving life for future generations. Lets meet one and ask a few fair questions. 1. Introduction. My name is Erin, I am a plastic free,...
Owed to Moose28 Jul 2016 | Read More >
This one is for me, its for my best mate Moose and I! I haven’t seen him yet, I’m in the air, somewhere over NSW, but I know he isn’t there anymore. The big black, laid back, super calm shadow of me, for twelve years is no longer there. For twelve years he has followed me absolutely everywhere. If...