6 tips to reduce plastic while travelling21 Jun 2018
We’re into Day Five of the Peloton Against Plastic, and we’ve been compiling some handy tips for avoiding single-use plastic when travelling through south-east Asia.
1. Carry your own drink bottle and fill it whenever you’re in a hotel, a café, or with a filter something like a Steripen.
2. Change your sweet tooth. When you’re looking for a sugar rush at the end of the day, be aware that the chocolate bars you enjoy at home might be wrapped in plastic. Choose an local alternative – check out the amazing fruit.
3. If you’re ducking out to a shop or the markets, take your own carry bag with you. Carry your own tote bags.
Markets in Hue
4. Speak up! Before you’ve asked for your food or drink, tell the cafe staff that you don’t want plastic or straws. Sometimes you have to be quick.
5. Carry your own straw. Our peloton members are carrying their own reusable stainless steel or bamboo straws. You can also get disposable grass straws.
While you’re at it, spread the word – tell the café managers you’d prefer locally made grass straws (they’re out there).
6. Finally, whatever you can’t avoid – or whenever the café staff serve you a straw before you can tell them not to – bring the thing home with you. Zero waste, people.
Paul Hellier - Founder
Images: Renae Saxby
Come and watch Peloton Against Plastic
We still have a long way to go but we are already feeling inspired by the amazing change makers we are meeting along the way.
22 Top Tips for this Plastic Free July05 Jul 2018 | Read More >
This Plastic Free July, we're on the Peloton Against Plastic, a bike ride from Hanoi to Bangkok meeting people and groups trying to change the situation on plastic pollution in this part of the world. While we travel using as little single-use plastic as possible. This article is very comprehensive...
6 Ways to Travel Without Buying Water.12 Jul 2018 | Read More >
350 million plastic water bottles are used globally each day ...that's right! ..... THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY...MILLION! ... A DAY! That's a lot of plastic! And at a decomposition rate of 700 years or so per bottle, that's not good for our planet, to put it mildly. What can you do about it? Well,...
Dianna Cohen - Moving Toward a Plastic-Free World - Pt 106 Jan 2017 | Read More >
On a recent trip to North America, I decided to drop an email to one of my favourite organisations, The Plastic Pollution Coalition (PPC). To my delight there was a quick response . Within days their CEO and inspiring co-founder, Dianna Cohen graciously set up a meeting with me . We met a few...
A Chat with Costa Part I - The Aperture of Life02 Jun 2016 | Read More >
He is arguably the most popular and enthusiastic of all hosts of ABC's Gardening Australia program. You will see him around in a number of aliases, having a good time. Regardless, the one thing that always comes with a Costa Georgiadis appearance is a contagious positivity and your sudden...
Owed to Moose28 Jul 2016 | Read More >
This one is for me, its for my best mate Moose and I! I haven’t seen him yet, I’m in the air, somewhere over NSW, but I know he isn’t there anymore. The big black, laid back, super calm shadow of me, for twelve years is no longer there. For twelve years he has followed me absolutely everywhere. If...